This is a 15 minutes MATERIALS LESSON PLAN on 1 property of material
-Whether the item FLOAT or SINK –
I am going to share with you a simple experiment where you can conduct at home with your child to learn the concepts on materials!
The best way to learn is to learn through experience! This is what we believe in – experiential learning.
This is what we did:
1. Fill a beaker with water
2. Grab a variety of materials made of rubber, metal, paper, wood, cloth, plastic, tissue… the list goes on! They can test anything they like!
3. Drop the item into the beaker.
(Hypothesis) Before they drop the item in, ask them to GUESS if it will float or sink.
4. (Observation) Ask your child whether the item sink or float?
Have fun with your child!
Test it out!
(a) A- branch, ball, ruler
B- pen, key, stone
(b) A: Float on water
B: Sink in water
Science can be fun! Let your child explore and learn through play!
P3 is the year where a student have the luxury to explore the concepts, instead of just pure paper drilling.
From day-to-day life, there are many occurrences that are worth teaching them the concepts:
– A walk to the pond –> learn about diversity of plants (Floating, Partially submerged plants, Fully Submerged Plants)
– A walk along the pavement –> learn about ferns, flowering, non-flowering plants, plants with strong or weak stem, plants with edible inedible fruits and the list goes on…
There’s so much to learn!
Interest in the subject starts young, be sure to learn through fun with them 🙂